Audiologists are experts in hearing loss and balance disorders. Audiologists can help people of all ages experiencing hearing loss with the use of hearing aids and other assistive technologies to improve their ability to communicate.

Where do audiologists practise?

Audiologists work across a range of health settings including hospitals, schools, residential aged care facilities and private practice.

When should I see an audiologist?

A person should see an audiologist if they experience hearing loss or dizziness/vertigo. It is important for anyone who experiences sudden hearing loss to visit a hospital emergency department as soon as possible to receive a hearing test to refer if necessary to an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist in a timely manner for the successful treatment of sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL). Audiologists can also diagnose patients experiencing vertigo. They can work together with physiotherapists to provide vestibular (balance) rehabilitation for clients.

What services do audiologists provide?

Audiologists provide hearing tests to measure auditory and neural function, tinnitus and test balance (vestibular function). They can prescribe and fit devices and aids such as ear plugs, hearing aids and have specialised knowledge about implantable devices such as cochlear implants.

How are audiologists qualified?

To qualify as an audiologist, practitioners must complete a Masters-level degree in clinical audiology. They must also meet the membership and clinical competency requirements of:

  • Audiology Australia’s Accredited Audiologist program, and/or
  • The Australian College of Audiology (ACAud) with Hearing Rehabilitation Specialist (HRS) and Diagnostic Rehabilitation Specialist (DRS) competencies.

Further information

For more detailed information about audiology, please visit the Audiology Australia website.

Find a practitioner

A wide range of audiology services can be found by searching the National Health Services Directory