A chiropractor diagnoses and offers treatment for back pain and disorders of the musculoskeletal system. The treatment may include manipulation, massage or ergonomic advice. Chiropractors in Australia are a nationally registered and a regulated healthcare profession.
Where do chiropractors practise?
Chiropractors work in private practice.
When should I see a chiropractor?
There are a wide range of reasons why a person may benefit from consulting a chiropractor. Some common reasons may include:
- Acute or chronic back pain
- Neck pain
- Extremity pain and dysfunction
- Poor mobility
- Degenerating posture
- Migraine headaches
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
What services do chiropractors provide?
Chiropractors use manual therapies such as manipulation and massage to treat and prevent dysfunction of the musculoskeletal system. Chiropractors also provide ergonomic and lifestyle advice about movement with an emphasis on wellness and prevention.
Parents may seek chiropractic care for their children for musculoskeletal disorders. A chiropractor is expected to refer the paediatric patient to another healthcare practitioner if outside their clinical skills and knowledge.
How are chiropractors qualified?
To qualify as a chiropractor, practitioners must study at university for a minimum of 5 years and register with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency. This includes:
- Completion of a 3-year bachelor degree followed by a master’s degree or a double degree in chiropractic science and clinical science bachelor, masters or professional doctorate program.
- Continuing professional development.
- Meet national regulation requirements as set out by the Chiropractic Board of Australia for the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency.
For more detailed information about chiropractors, please visit the Australian Chiropractors Association website or Chiropractic Australia. You may also like to visit the Chiropractic Board of Australia website.
Find a practitioner
Chiropractic Australia has a Find a Chiropractor service which can be accessed here. The Australian Chiropractors Association has a Find a Chiropractor service which can be accessed here.